Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Yiddish Expressions 3.24

Yiddish In 10 Lessons!! Give the Gift of Continuity!!
A Great Present All Year Long!!
Stay Connected To The Jewish Culture Through YIDDISH!!

Express It In Yiddish:
and what's with me? Where do I fit in? I am also part of the equation, what am I, chopped liver?, being overlooked, ignored, a second class citizen
מה אני עז? מה אני כבד קצוץ? אדם שחש שמתעלמים ממנו, צריך להתחשב גם בי


איך בּין אויכעט אַ מאַמע'ס אַ קינד
ikh bin oykhet a ma'mes a kind
I too am a mother's child
גם אני ילד של אמא

מײַן נשמה איז אויך בּײַם בּאַרג סיני געשטאַנען
mayn nesho'me is oykh bam barg sinay geshtanen
my soul also stood by Mt. Sinai
הנשמה שלי גם עמדה אצל הר סיני

וואָס בּין איך אַ הונט?
vos bin ikh a hunt?
Wwat am I, a dog?

מה אני, כלב?

Yiddish is rich with expressions. In fact, sometimes the same phrase can be said in a number of different ways. I try to bring the unique ones, where it is is not obvious from the literal translation what the expression means.

No comments:

Post a Comment