Thursday, February 5, 2015

Yiddish Expressions 2.20

Own "Yiddish In 10 Lessons" For Less!!

http://yiddishin10lessons.blogspot.co.il/2013/10/yiddish-in-10-lessons-sale-only-8500.html


I am no slouch, I am just as good as the next guy, don't count me out, someone to reckon with; hey, what about me

אני מסוגל לזה כמו השני, אפשר לקחת אותי בחשבון, גם אני שווה משהו, גם לי מגיע



מײַן נשמה איז אויך נישט קײַן ראָזשינקע

mayn neshome iz oykh nit kayn rozhinke

my soul is also not a raisin

הנשמה שלי גם לא צימוק




Yiddish is rich with expressions. In fact, sometimes the same phrase can be said in a number of different ways. I try to bring the unique ones, where it is is not obvious from the literal translation what the expression means.

1 comment:

  1. the line from the song "vi zaynen mayne zibn gute yahr" is "is mayne neshuma, den, fun klutshe?"- i believe that loosely translates "is my soul, then, from wood?". correct me if I am wrong

    ReplyDelete